2014 Acura ILX Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $29,359 - $31,208.

10/7.0

Based on 27 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

A more grown-up Civic Si

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "Good looking, fun-to-drive, generous feature list"

Cons: "No Navi opt, could use more distinction between Si"

I waited 2 weeks for the Fathom Blue color, it was worth the wait :)

"Let me first start by saying that the ILX was not at the top of my list when I began searching for a new car last year. I had my mind set on a new Volkswagen GLI or Civic Si. I was set on buying a sporty, fun to drive sedan with a manual transmission and good fuel-economy that was under $30,000. I also wanted a good amount of premium features as I was trading up from a somewhat basic Honda Fit. When I looked at the Si, I felt it to be quick and fun but lacking in luxury features. Its loud cabin and stiff ride also didn't fit what I was looking for. The GLI was the more refined choice, it had the luxury features I was looking for, but was still quick enough when I wanted to do some spirited driving. I was about to get the VW but it's higher price was an issue, I also wasn't thrilled on the high depreciation and lower reliability ratings. I remembered the ILX at the last minute and although its MSRP was higher, Acura dealers were willing to discount the car significantly and it made it less expensive than a GLI. I did lose the factory navigation but Acura's tech package is getting old anyways. The ILX effectively blends the sporting character of the Si but gives me that softer ride, higher quality interior, and premium features I was looking for. The 2.4L engine is smooth, quick to rev, and powerful pushing the lighter ILX to 60 quicker than the turbocharged and heavier GLI. I've been averaging 27 MPG in mostly city driving with a heavy foot. Overall, after a year of ownership, there are some things I want to change about the car, but there's also a lot of like and for those of you who want a small, efficient, and fun to drive luxury sedan the ILX 6-speed is a great choice."

I waited 2 weeks for the Fathom Blue color, it was worth the wait :)

So far not bad

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "nice seats, nice steering wheel, nice sound system"

Cons: "no power pass. seat, no turn signal side mirrors"

"Been reading a lot of the reviews, read one that did not like the sound system, funny when you buy entry level luxury car you don't the strip model you get the tech pkg. or you don't buy entry level cars, silly guy, anyway car is nice, great feel, no problems so far..."

Worth the extra cash

By on Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Pros: "great interior, fun tech features, sleek exterior"

Cons: "kinda slow, need snow tires, expensive parts"

"Great car for those who want something that looks more sophisticated than a Honda Civic or Mazda 3. The exterior of the car is seamless and is more appealing to me than the previous mentioned. It just looks more expensive. The alloy wheels are nice feature that increases its appeal. I love the interior the most. The steering wheel is comfortable, the controls are all within my arm's length and the heated leather seats are a must in the winter. Not much leg room in the back seat but I have sat back there and I am 5'4" and had plenty of room if the front seat wasn't all the way back. The audio display screen looks very similar to the Civic and seems slightly outdated to me. I didn't like the look of the navigation so I didn't waste the extra money upgrading to the Tech Package. Using the HandsFreeLink and Bluetooth capabilities are easy to use. The back-up camera actually is helpful for parallel parking. I never need to dig around for my keys because of the keyless ignition and entry. Even works for the trunk! Easier to push a button than dig around for keys with your hands full of groceries. I really wish the engine was more powerful. I only have a 2.0L automatic and it's pretty pathetic with it's 150 horsepower. Not very quick in the lower gears but it's ok when trying to pass someone if you're going over 55mph. My brother's 201 horsepower Civic Si leaves me in the dust:( The car is bigger and heavier than the Civic Si and if you are set on better performance, I would suggest at least the 2.4L or sticking with the Civic Si. I heard a rumor the 2016 ILX base model was going to have more horsepower so maybe wait or purchase the 2016 model. I don't really get the point of the paddle shifters in this car. It's not fast and if you don't shift into the right gear, it will shift for you eventually. I never use them and they seem lame compared to an actual floor shifter. The car is not that great in the snow. I don't have snow tires on but my '97 Civic was easier to maneuver through the snow and this was slightly disappointing to me. Beware that parts and repairs will be more expensive. I have had my car for 8 months and I think I am a magnet for careless people. I had dents in my right fender from car doors slamming into my car 3 months in. Some spots have chips in the paint. All minor cosmetics, but someone just recently side swiped the right fender creasing it along with graciously providing large scuffs down to the primer. My right fender needs to be replaced and I am not looking forward to the cost of that. At least it is all on one body panel:) I feel like gas mileage is comparable to the Civic and I put premium gas in mine. If you can, rotate your own tires and change your own oil unless you want to spend $80. When I bought this car, I was deciding between the ILX, Honda Civic, Mazda 6, and Hyundai Elantra. I would still pick the ILX over these any day."

Great "little" luxury car.

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, styling"

Cons: "No memory front seats. no Apple interface"

"I really like this car after having an '01 3.2 CL Type S. It doesn't have the same refinement as the old CL (uses the Civic driveline), but the gas mileage picks up for that. I average 25,000 per year and I've been able to stay at 33.6 MPG combined for the entire time. The majority of my commute is highway, so YMMV. It drives just like I remember my CL to drive and having owned an '07 Accord prior to this, I'm looking forward to only having to change plugs at 100K. Nice that they are right on top too. I use AmsOil, so oil changes are every 25,000 miles with a new filter each time the oil minder light comes on. I've been able to run "regular" gas without any issues with drivability or mileage loss. No issues other than a recall a few months back, but I was in an Acura loaner (TSX) for the day while the work was done. Overall a very nice little car. Seating for 5 is a stretch with my 3 boys across the back (ages 10, 8, 6), so it really is just good for 4 regular sized adults."

A great looking luxury hybrid

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Car exterior looks, interior comfort"

Cons: "Hybrid stop/start kinetics are not the smoothest"

"I bought this 2013 ILX Hybrid with Technology packing as a CPO with 800 miles on it. For the price paid and the remaining warranty I am very happy with the value I received. I test drove a Accord, Civic, Focus and Countryman in my efforts to find a new car. Pro’s – great exterior look, very sporty. Comfortable front seats, nice leather. Great Mileage – for me averaging 40mpg. Decent back seat legroom. Great stereo system. Nice to have a USB input for my own songs. Cabin noise is low. Steering is very light, I like that but for some the road feel may be missing. Keyless entry and start. Back up camera. entertainment screen is of decent size. Hands free commands of phone, radio ect (still working on using this feature) Con’s - Stop/start w/ hybrid is a bit jerky ie let off the brake, motor comes on then accelerate. If you want to avoid this put the car in sport mode and the motor does not shut off at a stop. Some hesitation at certain speeds when accelerating (typically lower ones 5 -10 MPH). AC system Fan is controlled by up/down buttons, i would have preferred a turnable knob as i have to glance down to find these smallish buttons. Overall very happy and I am looking forward to driving this car for the next few years"