2014 Acura ILX Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,514 - $24,936.

10/7.0

Based on 26 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Great small luxury sedan

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

"After 9 years owning Audis I traded my last A4 for the ILX. I loved my Audi but the repair cost post warranty is just too high. Comparing the IL X to the entry level offerings from Lexus, infinity, BMW and Volvo made the decision easy. The ILX is better looking than all of them and the price lower. The car is so roomy in the front and the finish of the cabin and exterior is very luxurious. The reviews which criticize rear passenger room make no sense to me since all the compact luxury sedans have cramped rear seats. Driving performance is great, while not as invigorating as the German offerings, but with grater promised reliability and lower costs ( maintenance, regular gas and thousands lower List Price) it fits perfectly with a young professionals lifestyle. In this economy us gen x and y folks want to drive a high end vehicle with style and performance but we don't want to sacrifice saving for the future, paying down the mortgage or going into debt all to carry a huge car payment. The ilx fits the bill perfectly."

EXCEEDS NEW MODEL EXPECTATIONS

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pros: "LOVE THE LOOK & DRIVING CHARACTERISTICS & CURRENT"

Cons: "MISS EXTRA ZIP & STORAGE OF OUR LARGER TSX"

"HAVE DRIVEN HONDA PRODUCTS SINCE 1996 AFTER DISAPPOINTING EXPERIENCES WITH OLDS AND PONTIAC. PURCHASED OUR 1ST ACURAS IN 1992. SINCE OWNED INTEGRA'S CL'S, TL'S & TSX'S. WANTED A SWEET SMALL LUXURY SEDAN AGAIN TO COMPLIMENT OUR TSX, AND THE NEW ILX FITS THE BILL. TEST DROVE TWICE, 2 MONTHS APART AND WAS SOLD. GREAT INTERIOR LOOK & COMFORT FOR A SMALLER SEDAN, FRONT & REAR. TECH PACKAGE IS GREAT. SUPER AUDIO, GPS & VOICE COMMAND SYSTEMS. WIFE LOVES IT. HEAD TURNER STYLING. EXPECTING SAME SERVICE AND QUALITY WE'VE COME TO KNOW WITH ACURA & HONDA."

There's more to life than horsepower

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "TOP comfort, features, & refinement for the value"

Cons: "Low on power, suspension on the softer side"

"I was apprehensive about this car at first. I drive an American performance-oriented car and my wife drove an old Honda Accord sedan. Recently we realized that we need a replacement for her car and started shopping around. We had around $30,000 to play with and were going to settle for something like a Mazda6 or a Buick Verano when this car caught our attention. --- At first, I was unimpressed. 150 horses isn't a lot, though the car is pretty small and light.. About 500 lbs lighter than the Accord sedan it would replace. We were disappointed that the "sporty" model with the highly-lauded and high revving Civic Si engine did not come with automatic (I guess that makes sense) or technology package (meaning no Nav). Wife doesn't want to drive stick every day, so we were suck with the 150 horses. --- I'll admit, it's slow. But after taking a couple of test drives in this car plus some others, I've come to the conclusion that contrary to what my mindset was before looking at this car - remember I drive a performance-oriented American car - there really is more to life than horsepower. The engine has enough spunk to speed off from a stop sign with ease, and just enough to make passing maneuvers on the highway safe and not a struggle. You won't win any stoplight derbies against anyone actually trying, though. --- What makes up for it is everything else. The styling is attractive. The 2014 model has a standard upgraded interior. The center console is elegantly designed for this price range and very intuitive, like on most Hondas/Acuras. Nothing superfluous or overly-complicated. The seats are comfortable, even for long trips, and the leather is high quality. --- The driving dynamics, OTHER than the power, are great too. Typical Honda/Acura light steering, which lets you handle the car with ease, but with a decent amount of feedback from the wheel compared to other brands that offer light steering with little driving feedback at all. Very good handling for a front-wheel drive car, with almost unnoticeable torque-steer under load. The engine is also buttery-smooth and very refined, as are most Honda 4 cylinder engines. No, it's not the Si engine, but it feels almost as happy to rev (and believe me, you'll have to). The suspension is a little soft, definitely not sport-tuned, but for an entry luxury car, I didn't expect the suspension to have the tightness of a sports car. Overall, averaging about 30 mpg, so no complaints there. --- Value-wise, this is a STEAL. We paid right around $30,000 for a smartly designed car with all the right features - Leather, well-designed nav/infotainment system, backup camera, Pandora radio, voice control, bluetooth all integrated, and a lot more. Can't think of many cars in this price range that offer all of these features in such a nice package. --- Overall, I think we made the right choice. Maybe it's a little frustrating to have to mash the gas pedal to get some oomph out of the car, but everything else falls right into place. Also, unlike with other brands, we know that Honda/Acura make quality cars that are built to last. Our Accord had over 200K miles on it and was still going strong with its 4 cylinder engine, so we have no doubt that this car will do the same. I would highly recommend this car to any of my friends, as well as anyone reading this review."

Great price great car

By on Monday, March 18, 2013

Pros: "Less price, more mileage, Luxury"

Cons: "No passenger power seat, no telescopic steering"

"I bought in January and I love it. Perfect for today's gas price with luxury. Handling and driving is very smooth and quite. Previously I owned G35 power of which I miss the most. But when it comes to filling up the tank I always think I made a smart choice. Hard disk in the vehicle is a very cool feature. I don't have to carry my CD's. I can just load CD's and it will automatically copy to the HDD. Advertised mileage on highway is 35, took a long trip and I actually got 35."

Best looking and efficient hybrid on the market

By on Monday, April 08, 2013

Pros: "Premium Car, Great on Gas, spacious"

Cons: "Not excatly fast, no memory seats"

"We leased this vehicle out last year a month after going on sale. My wife has been driving it about 56 miles to work and back 5 days a week(yes us Californians with our crazy long commutes). I was skeptical with the advertised mileage at 39/38 city/hwy. But after almost a year it's been hitting that number over and over again! I've managed to squeeze 42 combined sometimes but in my opinion your not driving anymore if your trying to get to those numbers. After the MDX this this is SLOW, but after a civic, this feels rich! It's definitely the best looking hybrid for the price and comfort. Its an Acura and residual value is never a concern. I'm sure future revisions of the ILX will only get better!"

So far not bad

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "nice seats, nice steering wheel, nice sound system"

Cons: "no power pass. seat, no turn signal side mirrors"

"Been reading a lot of the reviews, read one that did not like the sound system, funny when you buy entry level luxury car you don't the strip model you get the tech pkg. or you don't buy entry level cars, silly guy, anyway car is nice, great feel, no problems so far..."

Best small luxury for the money.

By on Monday, April 13, 2015

Pros: "value, features, design, sportiness"

Cons: "head room."

"I'd like to start with the point that this is the best small luxury sedan for the money. No other luxury makers offer so much for the same price. A3, CLA250, 320i all cost almost $30k, and if you add same number of options as ILX has you might be looking at $35k+ New ILX is not slow and Sport mode really bring car to life. It sounds great when you push throttle hard. Transmission is nice and smooth. Driving dynamics is decent. Bluetooth is crystal clear, I was very surprised with microphone quality. Headlights along with day running lights and LED turn signals are beautiful and very bright, no issues at night whats so ever. Rear lights are very stylish too. So far everything works great in this car. The only con is so far head room for tall individuals, you might find it a little bit uncomfortable if you taller than 6', but it's not horrible."

A more grown-up Civic Si

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "Good looking, fun-to-drive, generous feature list"

Cons: "No Navi opt, could use more distinction between Si"

I waited 2 weeks for the Fathom Blue color, it was worth the wait :)

"Let me first start by saying that the ILX was not at the top of my list when I began searching for a new car last year. I had my mind set on a new Volkswagen GLI or Civic Si. I was set on buying a sporty, fun to drive sedan with a manual transmission and good fuel-economy that was under $30,000. I also wanted a good amount of premium features as I was trading up from a somewhat basic Honda Fit. When I looked at the Si, I felt it to be quick and fun but lacking in luxury features. Its loud cabin and stiff ride also didn't fit what I was looking for. The GLI was the more refined choice, it had the luxury features I was looking for, but was still quick enough when I wanted to do some spirited driving. I was about to get the VW but it's higher price was an issue, I also wasn't thrilled on the high depreciation and lower reliability ratings. I remembered the ILX at the last minute and although its MSRP was higher, Acura dealers were willing to discount the car significantly and it made it less expensive than a GLI. I did lose the factory navigation but Acura's tech package is getting old anyways. The ILX effectively blends the sporting character of the Si but gives me that softer ride, higher quality interior, and premium features I was looking for. The 2.4L engine is smooth, quick to rev, and powerful pushing the lighter ILX to 60 quicker than the turbocharged and heavier GLI. I've been averaging 27 MPG in mostly city driving with a heavy foot. Overall, after a year of ownership, there are some things I want to change about the car, but there's also a lot of like and for those of you who want a small, efficient, and fun to drive luxury sedan the ILX 6-speed is a great choice."

I waited 2 weeks for the Fathom Blue color, it was worth the wait :)

Great "little" luxury car.

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, styling"

Cons: "No memory front seats. no Apple interface"

"I really like this car after having an '01 3.2 CL Type S. It doesn't have the same refinement as the old CL (uses the Civic driveline), but the gas mileage picks up for that. I average 25,000 per year and I've been able to stay at 33.6 MPG combined for the entire time. The majority of my commute is highway, so YMMV. It drives just like I remember my CL to drive and having owned an '07 Accord prior to this, I'm looking forward to only having to change plugs at 100K. Nice that they are right on top too. I use AmsOil, so oil changes are every 25,000 miles with a new filter each time the oil minder light comes on. I've been able to run "regular" gas without any issues with drivability or mileage loss. No issues other than a recall a few months back, but I was in an Acura loaner (TSX) for the day while the work was done. Overall a very nice little car. Seating for 5 is a stretch with my 3 boys across the back (ages 10, 8, 6), so it really is just good for 4 regular sized adults."

Worth the extra cash

By on Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Pros: "great interior, fun tech features, sleek exterior"

Cons: "kinda slow, need snow tires, expensive parts"

"Great car for those who want something that looks more sophisticated than a Honda Civic or Mazda 3. The exterior of the car is seamless and is more appealing to me than the previous mentioned. It just looks more expensive. The alloy wheels are nice feature that increases its appeal. I love the interior the most. The steering wheel is comfortable, the controls are all within my arm's length and the heated leather seats are a must in the winter. Not much leg room in the back seat but I have sat back there and I am 5'4" and had plenty of room if the front seat wasn't all the way back. The audio display screen looks very similar to the Civic and seems slightly outdated to me. I didn't like the look of the navigation so I didn't waste the extra money upgrading to the Tech Package. Using the HandsFreeLink and Bluetooth capabilities are easy to use. The back-up camera actually is helpful for parallel parking. I never need to dig around for my keys because of the keyless ignition and entry. Even works for the trunk! Easier to push a button than dig around for keys with your hands full of groceries. I really wish the engine was more powerful. I only have a 2.0L automatic and it's pretty pathetic with it's 150 horsepower. Not very quick in the lower gears but it's ok when trying to pass someone if you're going over 55mph. My brother's 201 horsepower Civic Si leaves me in the dust:( The car is bigger and heavier than the Civic Si and if you are set on better performance, I would suggest at least the 2.4L or sticking with the Civic Si. I heard a rumor the 2016 ILX base model was going to have more horsepower so maybe wait or purchase the 2016 model. I don't really get the point of the paddle shifters in this car. It's not fast and if you don't shift into the right gear, it will shift for you eventually. I never use them and they seem lame compared to an actual floor shifter. The car is not that great in the snow. I don't have snow tires on but my '97 Civic was easier to maneuver through the snow and this was slightly disappointing to me. Beware that parts and repairs will be more expensive. I have had my car for 8 months and I think I am a magnet for careless people. I had dents in my right fender from car doors slamming into my car 3 months in. Some spots have chips in the paint. All minor cosmetics, but someone just recently side swiped the right fender creasing it along with graciously providing large scuffs down to the primer. My right fender needs to be replaced and I am not looking forward to the cost of that. At least it is all on one body panel:) I feel like gas mileage is comparable to the Civic and I put premium gas in mine. If you can, rotate your own tires and change your own oil unless you want to spend $80. When I bought this car, I was deciding between the ILX, Honda Civic, Mazda 6, and Hyundai Elantra. I would still pick the ILX over these any day."